Thursday, April 26, 2007

Uncle David

I received a call from my grandmother yesterday morning. Her message was spoken through tears and heartbreak. Her oldest son, David, died the night before from an aneurism. As we spoke later that day, she shared some of her recent memories of Dave with me. She assured me that David knew the Lord and he is in His presence today.
Death has a profound way of making me think about people I know and who cross my path each day who do not know Christ. See, until my grandmother told me Dave was saved, I wouldn't have known that, I never asked him about eternity. I didn't really have a relationship with him.
I can count on one hand the number of times throughout my life that I've met Dave face-to-face.
I don't really remember seeing him until my grandparent's fiftieth wedding anniversary party many years ago. He sat between my mother and me and held our hands at my father's funeral 12 years ago, I hugged him at my grandfather's funeral a couple of years later. He flew here 2 years ago from Tennessee for my mother's funeral and watched over my sisters and me to make sure we were being cared for. He even spoke highly of "the girls" to someone who was a stranger to him in a strange place; that person knew me and later shared his kind words.
I knew of him, I even knew his phone number, email address and where he lived. But that's just information. It made me think about how there are other people in my life with whom I have the same type of relationship. I think of the urgency with which I need to build a relationship to the point of asking if someone knows where they will spend eternity. Because everyone is going to die and everyone will spend forever someplace. I want to know that people I have relationships with are going to be spending their eternity with Christ.
This weekend at my church our pastor will be talking about heaven and hell. It's a lesson you won't want to miss if you're within driving distance of Adrian, MI. I'm inviting you and I'm asking you, do you know where you'll spend eternity? Make sure you do because you never know when you will be taken there.

No comments: