Monday, April 16, 2007

Lights on... Lights off

I was walking down the frozen food aisle this morning doing my usual Monday morning grocery routine at the local Wal-Mart. No one else was in the frozen section; the place was empty. I thought it strange when I saw that the lights weren't on in the cases.
Until... they started coming on as I pushed my cart down the aisle. Approaching each case, the lights flickered on. How cool is that? Must be Wal-Mart is conserving energy, or trying to freak me out.
Like a little kid, I couldn't resist turning to look over my shoulder to see if the lights were going out when I was half way down the aisle...they weren't off yet! I didn't want to look as foolish as I felt so I didn't stand at the end of the aisle waiting to see how long before the lights would go off.
I came home and checked my email to find a daily devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministries; the verse of the day is Psalm 139:5 "You both precede me and follow me. You place your hand of blessing on me."
Okay, so maybe you'll think this is a stretch but again I ask, how cool is that? I thought immediately of my experience with the lights in the frozen food cases. I'm a visual person; it was like God had provided a visual foreshadowing for my reading this verse today!
There He was in a simple thing like lights; going on before me, staying on after me. I didn't understand the lights and there are lots of times I don't understand God's ways either. All I need to do is trust that He's ahead of me, behind me, all around me, with His hand of blessing on me.
I encourage you to look for the blessings in front of you and behind you today!

No comments: