Saturday, May 5, 2007

Pet Peeve

Okay, I just have to vent about the way people drive. I mean, how do some people pass the tests at the DMV? Seriously, lately I have to drive more defensively than ever before. The words of my driving instructor keep ringing in my head, "Watch out for the other guy because they usually aren't watching out for you."
School is no exception, in fact, I wonder if it's the reason he used that expression all the time. People double park on both sides of the street in front of Diego's school leaving only close to a car's width to pass between them. What's that about?
Then they actually get out of their vehicles to put a child onto the street in front of a passing vehicle without regard for moving cars. "I don't think they went to Safety City school, mom!" exclaims my child from the back seat.
Turning into the parking lot is a bit like trying to avoid bugs on my windshield; adults and kids darting from between cars without even looking for moving vehicles.
And don't get me started on school buses. Do they think they own the parking lot? I know the law about stopping for a stopped school bus, waiting for the lights to stop flashing and the driver to pull in the little stop sign on the side of the bus. But really, once a bus is empty of children, are the driver's that relieved to be rid of their cargo of screaming darlings? Maybe they're just in a hurry to be the first to arrive at the coffee shop? Either way, the bus drivers appear to believe because they are larger than most vehicles in the lot, they actually do own the road.
Of course there is the mom with the big, old, honkin' pick-up who takes up 4 precious, limited parking spots. Or the dude with spinners on his wheels who refuses to share the drop off area. And the grandmother who regularly stops in the middle of the drive forcing anyone stuck behind her car to wait through a lengthy conversation with the child in the back seat.
I could go on and on but won't.
End of vent, thanks for reading :)

No comments: