Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Wedding Worth Waiting For

My family and I went to a wedding last Saturday in Grand Rapids, MI. It was the wedding of a very special young man in my life. His name is Brad, his bride's name is Bethany.
Brad is someone I met as a pre-teen, trouble child. He appeared one morning in my Sunday school class. Brad always had a toy of some sort to occupy his hands, he wanted to be a magician. Brad eventually grew into a great teenager. He took a lead part in the youth group's "Human Video" drama group, named the group "Take A Stand Ministry" and traveled to various locations presenting the gospel through dramatic reenactments.
I am incredibly proud of the fact that Brad went to college to become a youth pastor. He has recently been promoted to a department manager's position in a new office supply store in Traverse City, MI. I am praying that he will pursue his passion of working with teenagers there.
Brad gave me a nickname that he still calls me to this day - Tree. He seemed to think because of my height and hairstyle (at the time) that I resembled a tree. I didn't like the name at first but it grew (HA!) on me and I learned to accept it and even answer to it. When I met his bride after the ceremony on Saturday, she exclaimed, "So, you're Tree! I'm so glad to meet you, I've heard so much about you!" I bet she has.
There were rough times with Brad, it wasn't all grins and giggles. He grew closer to the Lord and learned some incredible life lessons while I worked with him. I'm not bragging on myself, but I am bragging on Brad. He was one of my success stories... some time I'll write about some of the others.
At the age of 16 or 17, Brad became attached to a baby named Diego who had come into our lives quite unexpectedly. When it came time for us to make the decision about adopting Diego or giving him up to someone else, Brad came forward and told us that if we didn't adopt Diego, he would. He said he loved him more than he ever thought he could love another human being and was willing to give up his dream of going to college to raise this little boy on his own.
Brad regularly appeared on our doorstep to spend time with us and Diego. He came over on all of his important dates like prom or sub-deb to have his photo taken with Diego.
I couldn't be happier for Brad or more pleased that he found his life's partner in Bethany. At the risk of sounding cliche', I must say that they complete each other. I can't wait for the children to come along, he's in for a run for his money if the kids are anything like him :)
Best wishes, Brad and Bethany and may God bless you with all the good things He has in store for your life together.

No comments: