Friday, May 25, 2007

Discipline Slip

Diego has been "off" for a couple of weeks now... until Tuesday this week. I really thought he'd be worse due to a field trip to the police department, fire department and public library in downtown Adrian. Well, he has been really good since then. He's been getting up and ready for school without being told to do so... that's HUGE for him.
He did have some difficulty at the fire station, he wanted to talk during the presentation but he assured me that he knew the firefighter and wanted to ask him a question. His teacher said he pointed out where his mom :) works as his class walked by the building that houses the office I work in (Diego said his friends thought it was cool).
With the end of the school year and change in routine I fully expect Diego to have some struggles. The thing that bothers me is that his teachers act surprised by problems. Their expectations are higher since the school year is almost over. I mean after all, he's been taught all these wonderful things for over 9 months now and he should have them committed to memory.
Wow! Sometimes I wonder whose brain is more like swiss cheese... the teacher's or Diego's.
For instance, the art teacher wrote a discipline slip on Diego yesterday. He put his things away at the end of class and took out some clay to play with. She told him to put it away and he didn't want to. Eventually he put it away (without incident) but she wrote a note that went something like this: "At the end of class today Diego took clay out of a tub when the rest of the class was cleaning up to leave. He had put his things away already but shouldn't have taken the clay out. Please talk to Diego about the rules and following directions."
Are you kidding me? It's not like taking clay from a tub is the worst thing he could have done. He could have thrown it, eaten it, ground it into the carpet (yes, the art room is carpeted), put it into someone's hair... get my drift? I can think of 100 different things he could have done in a classroom full of items hanging from the ceiling, protruding from the walls, written on the windows, flashing on a computer screen, etc... I'm surprised this is the first time he's had problems in that classroom! The stimulation is enough to make a 'normal' child bounce off the walls. I think I would have problems focusing in that room.
Maybe the teacher is just ready for summer vacation? I know I am.

No comments: