Thursday, November 29, 2007

What A Kid

I received a call from Diego's school this afternoon. Usually when I see the school number on the caller ID I expect to hear a frantic secretary on the other end of the line tell me Diego has run away and the police have been called. Not today.

It was the principal. She wanted to tell me about something good and honest Diego had done today. See, Diego was having some trouble in Art class and needed to go out of the room for a break. On his way back to the Art classroom, he found a $10 bill on the floor. His substitute teacher saw him pick up the bill and immediately turn to tell an adult what he had found without even the slightest movement to put the money into his pocket.

The teacher decided to put the money into the his desk and instructed Diego not to tell anyone that he had found it. If no one mentioned the money, in a few days it could be Diego's.

Not long after, one of Diego's good friends said he had lost his lunch money. Diego asked, "How much was it?"

The boy said, "Ten dollars."

So, Diego said, "I know where it is," and took his friend to the teacher to retrieve the money.

The typical 8 year old would have shoved the money into their pocket and never said a word about it. I find Diego's honesty to be refreshing and his loyalty to his friends speaks for itself. What a kid. My special kid.

No comments: