Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day of Second Grade


Diego went back to school this morning; he was bummed. He wanted to go to day camp instead. He tried every trick he knows to prevent the inevitable trip to school... from not getting dressed to the age old "stomach ache".
I was finally able to snap a quick pic before we had to run out the door to arrive on time for school.

I felt sorry for Diego having to wade through the crowd of kids and parents, hearing the sounds of school that set him off, the sounds most people don't even know are there like the buzz of the fluorescent lights and the hum of the window fan. Even the parent of one of his friends speaking to him was enough to make Diego retreat into his protective shell.

I warned his para pro about a high gag reflex lately and some butterflies in the stomach, kissed Diego on the cheek and realized he had already completed a word search page the teacher had placed on all of the desks in the classroom.

I walked out of school with some butterflies of my own but whispered a prayer for protection and comfort for my special little boy. I know he'll learn and grow so much this year; he's gonna be alright.

No comments: