Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Close Call

I received a call this afternoon from Diego's para pro; Diego had run away from school and was missing, the police were on their way to the school. She wanted to know if I would drive around the school area to help look for Diego.
I don't know about anyone else but, hearing that my child was missing sent a pain similar to what I imagine a spear through the heart would feel like.
Praying as I sped to the route I felt Diego would take running from school, checking out a putt-putt golf course across the street and heading to Diego's favorite store, Wal-Mart. Just as I was turning toward the extremely heavily traveled road leading to Wal-Mart, my phone rang. "We have him."
Relieved? Beyond words.
Diego met a nice police corporal, we met the new principal and were able to establish a safe place to run to inside the school building.
Once Diego settled down he told me had decided to run home via our Lowe's and Wal-Mart route (another very busy stretch of road), he just knew our house is close to those stores (it is not). He said he turned back to the school because he was thirsty and needed a drink - thank you, God for making him thirsty! Thirst is a sensation that's always been very strong for Diego.
I believe Diego actually ran into a field near the school that is fenced and couldn't find his way out. If he had... well, I don't even want to consider what could have happened.
Tonight I'm very thankful that Diego is sound asleep in his nice, warm bed. I will say a prayer for the kids who have gone missing and not been found and the parents whose hearts have not been relieved of the pain of a spear through it.

No comments: