Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Which Land?

I received word that my step-grandmother lost her battle with cancer last Friday; she was 88 years old.
There were a lot of thoughts that passed through my head after I learned she had died. We weren't as close as some grandparents and grandchildren but that's okay, before ending a phone conversation or visit she would say, "I love you," and I knew she meant it.

My younger sister and I made the trip to Bad Axe for the visitation and funeral. During the funeral the pastor said something that has been on my mind since he spoke the words.

He was telling a story (not sure if it's true) about an elderly preacher who was writing his memoirs through a scribe. The preacher couldn't quite find the words to say as he lay dying so the scribe wrote: "I leave the land of the living to step into eternity." When the words were read to the preacher, he told the scribe they were not correct. He said, "Tell people I am leaving the land of the dying to step into the land of the living."

Those words, to me, are profound especially as Easter approaches. Christ came to earth to save the dying of which I am one. He died in my place so I don't have to die. He was buried and rose from the grave. He ascended to Heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father. He did all of this so that one day when I leave the land of the dying I too will step into the land of eternal life.

God's love amazes me!

No comments: