Friday, August 17, 2007

Eye Opening


Diego and I had a rough night last night. He started complaining about well, you name it and he didn't like it, as soon as he got into the car when I picked him up from day camp.

Things got progressively worse when I told him he wasn't going to be able to watch a movie while I fixed supper because he had lost the privilege in the morning due to the fact that he wasted so much time, wouldn't listen, and generally made things difficult. Needless to say, that didn't set well with him and he turned into the little monster he portrayed a few months ago at church (that's Godzilla in the picture).

Short version: he had a meltdown, I sent him to his room, another meltdown, back to his room, dinner, sound asleep (at 5:50 p.m.).

This morning Diego was up bright and early, cooperative and ready to leave for day camp long before I was ready. I allowed him to watch some TV in my bedroom while he waited for me and he chose "Dora, The Explorer". I asked him if perhaps Dora's cousin, Diego was on today and he said, "Yes." I told him, "I am sure my Diego is better looking than Dora's cousin," and he replied with, "Yes, because I'm real."

Hmmm, kind of got me thinking about my friend's recent blog entry where she poses the question: "Am I who I say I am?"

Once again God has used my FAS kid to cause me to soul search. Today I have to ask myself, "Am I real?" Not in the sense of being alive, touchable or beyond 1 dimensional cartoon characters but real in the sense of am I who I say I am and does the outside world see the real me?

1 comment:

Wendy Bender said...

Indeed the world does see the real you, my friend! I see and love the real you and am proud to be doing life alongside of you!