Wednesday, July 2, 2008

July 2, 1995

I couldn't sleep last night and thought it was because I had a Diet Coke not long before bed (caffeine, you know). When I finally drifted off I dreamed about the house I grew up in and vividly saw the detail in the woodwork and red carpeting (my mom loved red!).
Realizing the date is July 2 hit me like a ton of bricks... I lost someone precious to me on this date 14 years ago; my dad. No wonder I didn't sleep well.
Every year since his death I have trouble sleeping on the anniversary of his home-going. You see, my sisters, mom, grandmother, and I spent several sleepless nights watching and waiting for death to come and take him. Dad had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. He won his final earthly battle and went to be with Jesus very early in the morning.
We buried Dad in the family plot in Sand Creek, a place I visit often. To return there somehow makes me feel a little closer to my parents although I know the ground beneath the headstone holds only the shells of the persons I knew as Dad and Mom.
I miss my dad, especially today, but find comfort in the fact that he left behind horrible pain and suffering to put on a white robe of righteousness... and I look forward to the day when I'll see him again.

No comments: