Wednesday, June 25, 2008

An Adult Child

What do you do when your adult son calls and tells you he's hungry, no starving?

Now, before you go feeling sorry for him, you must realize that he's got a full-time job, a car, pays rent, buys several packs of smokes a week, spends most of his money on energy drinks and video rentals, and drives wherever he wants to go thereby filling his gas tank every other day.

Still, it's hard to hear your child say they're hungry and not be able to respond in a tangible way. He lives in Toledo, where exactly I do not know. He could have driven to my house to get something to eat but that would be a terrible waste of gas money (his words). Yet, he told me how good my homemade pizza would taste to him tonight.

So, what's a mom to do? I doubt he's starving, I doubt he'll go a full day without any food. Still, that phone call is really bothering me. My motherly instincts are heightened. I want the best for him but he won't listen to reason or healthy advice.

In his irrational world he makes all the right choices until he's in too deep. He then only wants to hear, not apply, our advice.

I love him but tonight, after that phone call, love isn't enough.

No comments: