Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You When The World Stopped?

I remember it very clearly. I was in my office where I worked 8 years ago. The phone rang, it was my mom. She said, "A plane just hit the World Trade Center in New York." I didn't know what to think or say, I was in shock. I barely knew anything about New York or the WTC but a feeling came over me that was indescribable, surreal. Perhaps fear, grief, or even awe.

As Mom continued to recount the news stories of the tragedy she was suddenly quiet and then, with a quiver in her voice said, "A second plane has just hit the other Tower, I just saw it happen."

We talked about what could really be happening as I tried to be a reassuring voice to her. Mom was frightened, she didn't want to be alone. We talked for a few minutes as the news of the horrific tragedy began to sink into my mind.
Throughout the day, my mom called with updates on what was happening in the United States... the plane crashing into the Pentagon, and a final crashed plane in a field in Pennsylvania. I couldn't wait to get home that evening to watch the devastation, to see it with my own eyes would make it real.

My son, Eric called from his school around the corner. He said that the teachers were allowing kids to call their families to assure them they were okay. I began to thank God for protection, Joe was to be on a plane to Baltimore that day but had decided to cancel the trip because September 11 is our wedding anniversary. Diego was safely at the babysitters' house, I could barely wait until the end of the day to be able to wrap my arms around my family; to know they were safe and to tell them, "I love you."

The world was changing yet again, it was another marked point in history; one that will never be forgotten. The enormity of September 11, 2001 is still being written on the pages of history...

Take hope in the Lord who saw every act of evil or good that took place on that day -

Psalm 33:18
"But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love."
Psalm 33:20
"We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield."

Where were you when the world stopped? In whom do you place your trust?

No comments: